Due to the outbreak of the Covid-19, the global cosmetic markets have faced great challenges. In the meantime, as the Cosmetics Supervision and Administration Regulation officially took effect in January 2021, cosmetics enterprises have to comply with the new requirements for cosmetics importing and marketing.
Statistics of the import and export status of beauty products and wash suppliers in the first half of 2021
- Total import and export amount of beauty products and wash suppliers in the first half of 2021 maintained at half of that in 2020;
- From 2014 to 2019, the total import and export volume of beauty products and wash suppliers were increasing year by year. In 2019, the imports exceeded the exports. However, as the General Administration of Customs has expanded the scope of statistics to all the beauty products and wash suppliers from 2020, statistics showed that the imports were significantly less than exports in first half of both 2020 and 2021;
- Import volume of beauty products and wash suppliers in the first half of 2021 reached 225,749 tonnes, with an increase of 4.9% from a year earlier. The amount of imports reached 77.14246 billion Yuan, with an increase of 2.6.2% from a year earlier;
- Export volume of beauty products and wash suppliers in the first half of 2021 reached 445,794 tonnes, with an increase of 1.6% from a year earlier. The amount of imports reached 133.0654 billion Yuan, with an increase of 2.6% from a year earlier;
- From 1 January 2021, due to the implementation of Cosmetics Supervision and Administration Regulation and repeated outbreak of Covid-19, the growth trend of cosmetics import began to decline. Compared with the same period in 2020, the growth trend of both the import amount and volume were sharply declining. In February, the imports even showed a negative growth of -14%. The imports slightly recovered in March and April, but the overall trend is still downward.
Compared with the imports, the growth trend of
cosmetics exports in China remained steady. In February, the export volume
increased significantly, up about 122.3% from a year earlier and the growth
rate was in a stable state in Match, April, May and June. This is because the
epidemic in China is under control and the livelihood is relatively
of Data: General Administration of Customs
Statistics of cosmetics retailing status from January to July 2021
- The total retail sales of cosmetics in the first half of 2021 reached 191.7 billion Yuan, with a year-on-year increase of 26.6%;
- The retail sales hit the lowest in April, which was about 27.2 billion Yuan. In May and June, the sales slightly increased. Affected the online promotion activities, the sales in March and June were higher than other months;
year-on-year growth showed a downward trend. Compared to March last year, the
sales amount rose about 42.6% in March of this year. This is because China was
severely affected by Covid-19 in March 2020 and the offline business as well as
the logistics had been severely restricted. The growth has slowed since April.
In July, the growth rate was only 2.8%. The reason may be: there is no
promotion activity both online and offline in July, young consumers got used to
store what they need during 618 promotion activity. Besides, the epidemic in
China rebounded in July, which also affected the offline sales.
Source of Data: National Bureau of Statistics
If you have any needs or questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.