Japanese Existing and New Chemical Substances Inventory(ENCS)
Under Japan Chemical Substances Control Act (CSCL), a new chemical substance is defined as a chemical substance other than those listed as follows:
- Existing chemical substances (Approx. 20,600 substances): Chemical substances that were already manufactured/imported at the time of the promulgation of the Chemical Substance Control Law (CSCL) in 1973;
- Announced chemical substances by public notice from the three ministries (Approx. 6,100 substances);
- Class I and II specified chemical substances;
- Priority assessment chemical substances;
All existing chemical substances and notified substances are given MITI numbers which are important for custom clearance. All lists of regulated chemicals under CSCL mentioned above can be found in NITE's database:
The Japanese chemical inventories consist of different categories of chemicals. There is no standard existing chemical inventory such as China IECSC or KECI. Some people might call a combined list of existing and notified chemical substances as the Japanese Existing and New Chemical Substances(ENCS).
New chemical substances shall also be notified in accordance with the Industrial Safety and Health Law (ISHL). ISHL has its own chemical inventory called ISHL List. By default, existing chemical substances under CSCL are also existing chemical substances. However, ISHL has its own list of notified chemicals and regulated chemicals. This list is available at:
It shall be noted that Japan's inventory is not easy to search. There are two reasons:
- In general, chemicals without MITI numbers will be regarded new chemical substances. However, many chemicals that can be found in NITE's database do not have MITI numbers. They might still belong to existing chemical substances because one MITI number might be assigned to a category of chemicals and correspond to different CAS numbers.
- ISHL list is only available in Japanese.
If you would like to check whether your substance or product requires new substance notification under CSCL or ISHL in Japan, please contact:
- Mr. Yunbo Shi
11F Building 1, Dongguan Hi-Tech Park, 1288 Chunbo Road, Binjiang District, Hangzhou 310052, China
Tel: +86-571 8720 6555 | Fax: +86-571 8720 6533